Campus-Constituency-Elected Trustee Election - Spring 2020 (Graduate/Professional Student)
February 27, 2020
Cornell is one of relatively few institutions in the nation to allow students to directly elect representatives to its highest governing body. In alternating years with the undergraduate students, a graduate or professional student will be elected by fellow students to serve as a full voting member on the Board of Trustees.
Information for Candidates
All graduate and professional students who will remain a student for the duration of the Student Elected Trustee's term (2020-2022) are eligible to be candidates for the Spring 2020 Student Trustee Election. The elected candidate will serve as a full-voting member of the Cornell University Board of Trustees for a two-year term, from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2022. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact the Office of the Assemblies via email: email@example.com.
Each person who wishes to be a candidate in this election must complete the following requirements by 12:00pm (noon) on Wednesday, February 26, 2020:
- Read the CCCET Procedures.
- Attend the information session: January 28th, 2020 from 4:30pm to 5:30pm in 316 Day Hall (Board Room).
- Complete the Online Registration Form. Be prepared to provide:
- a candidate statement (1500 character-limit);
- describe relevant experiences, community involvement and special interests;
- a photo of yourself;
- campaign promotional materials (8.5 x 11" pdf).
- Gather 300 valid, distinct signatures using the Candidate Petition Form. We recommend you collect at least 350. Any student who will be eligible to vote in the election may sign your petition (even if they are not eligible to run in the election. In this election, candidates may collect signatures from both undergraduate and graduate/professional students. There is no limit to the number of signatures you may submit.
- Submit your petition forms in person to the Office of the Assemblies (109 Day Hall) by the registration deadline of Wednesday, February 26, 2020 @ 12:00pm.
After completing the registration requirements, candidates must also do the following as part of the election process:
- Attend the mandatory meeting with the University Counsel on Tuesday, March 3, 2020 from 11:00am to 12:00pm (noon) in 305 Day Hall.
- Attend the mandatory campaigning meeting on Wednesday, March 4, 2020 from 3:00pm to 4:00pm in 316 Day Hall (Board Room).
- Participate in the Trustee Candidate Debate/Forum on Monday, March 16, 2020 during the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly meeting at 5:30-7:00 in Bache Auditorium (228 Malott Hall).
- Submit the Candidate Expense Report to the Office of the Assemblies by Wednesday, March 25, 2020 by 12:00pm (noon), even if you have no expenses.
- Should there be cause to challenge a candidate, please complete the Challenge Form and submit it to the Office of the Assemblies in 109 Day Hall by Wednesday, March 25, 2020, by 5:00pm.
PLEASE NOTE: The elected candidate must be able to attend the New Trustee Orientation meetings on September 9, 2020, in New York City.
View the full Student-Elected Trustee 2020 Election Calendar.
Additional Information & Forms: