Student-Elected Trustee Election (Graduate/Professional Student) - Fall 2020
November 13, 2020
Cornell is one of relatively few institutions in the nation to allow students to directly elect representatives to its highest governing body. In alternating years with the undergraduate students, a graduate or professional student will be elected by fellow students to serve as a full voting member on the Board of Trustees.
Student-Elected Trustee Candidate Forum (Wednesday, October 28, 2020)
This election has been reactivated and the "Call for Candidates" extended through October 14, 2020.
Information for Candidates
All graduate and professional students who will remain a student for the duration of the Student Elected Trustee's term (2020-2022) are eligible to be candidates for the reactivated Student Trustee Election - Fall 2020. The elected candidate will serve as a full-voting member of the Cornell University Board of Trustees for a two-year term, from the fall of 2020 to June 30, 2022. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact the Office of the Assemblies via email: email@example.com.
Each person who wishes to be a candidate in this election must complete the following requirements by 12:00pm (EST) on Wednesday, October 14, 2020:
- Read the CCCET Procedures and the Addendum to "Student and Employee-Elected Trustee Procedures for 2019-2020".
- Attend the information session on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 from 4:30pm to 5:30pm via Zoom
- Complete the Online Registration Form. Be prepared to provide:
- a candidate statement (1500 character-limit);
- describe relevant experiences, community involvement and special interests;
- a photo of yourself;
- Gather 100 valid, distinct signatures using the online Candidate Petition Form (see instructions for Creating the Online Petition Form).
- We recommend you collect at least 150 signatures.
- Any registered Cornell student (including undergraduates) may sign your petition form (even if they are not eligible to run for student-elected Trustee), because all registered students (undergraduates, graduates and professional students) are eligible to vote in each year's election - regardless of whether their constituency is being elected that year. (see instructions for Signing the Online Petition Form). There is no limit to the number of signatures you may submit.
- Complete your online petition signature gathering by the registration deadline of Wednesday, October 14, 2020 @ 12:00pm.
After completing the registration requirements, candidates must also do the following as part of the election process:
Attend the mandatory campaigning meeting with University Counsel on Thursday, October 15, 2020 from 3:30pm to 4:30pm via Zoom
Attend the mandatory campaigning meeting on Friday, October 16, 2020 from 3:30pm to 4:30pm via Zoom
Participate in the Trustee Candidate Debate/Forum on Wednesday, October 28, 2020 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm
Submit the Candidate Expense Report to the Office of the Assemblies by Wednesday, November 4, 2020 by 4:00pm, even if you have no expenses.
Should there be cause to challenge a candidate, please complete the Challenge Form and submit it to the Office of the Assemblies at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, November 4, 2020 by 4:00pm.
View the revised Student-Elected Trustee 2020 Election Calendar.